Thursday, November 25, 2010

Transitions

Yesterday was my last day at the old job, Monday is my first day at the new job. We are once again in a state of transition as a family but in many ways this feels, at least for me, very different. Since we moved from Cincinnati, we have kind of been drifting along and the last couple of years have been especially tumultuous. From the spring of 2008 when the bank I managed closed down to our upcoming move, we have been perpetually in a state of flux and living sort of out of boxes. I am very hopeful that this will be our home for a long time as we settle into a new area and buy a home with some acreage and plenty of space. We are eager to get back into a more rural lifestyle, the last few years we have been living in the suburbs and have gotten pretty soft.

I anticipate that my blogging will transition as well. It is Thursday and I haven't posted anything at all since Sunday and nothing substantive for longer than that. I see this blog becoming more of a journal of what we are doing instead of a place to write lengthier thoughts. I still expect to write longer posts now and then but those posts likely will be less frequent and my regular posting will have more to do with our daily life. We are really going to try to raise more of our own food and necessities, whether that means milk and meat or fruit and vegetables, not because it is cheaper (it is not!) but because it is healthier and gives our children both responsibilities and a firm sense of where their food comes from. So I expect to do more blogging about our lifestyle. We also are going to get involved in gathering with the church in a "house church" network so I expect to write about that as well. The easy thing for us to do would be to get involved with a local Plymouth Brethren assembly but oddly there is not one where we are moving (one brother made the comment that it might be the largest metro area in the country without a PB assembly), so we are going to take the plunge. If we end up buying the house we are hoping to, it has a number of large rooms perfect for having lots of people over and lots of property for kids to run around on while also being pretty centrally located to the main population center. It is kind of scary but very exciting! I am so looking forward to what God is going to do with us over the years to come and I invite you to come along, at least from a cyber standpoint!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Hmmmm.... I've heard that it's not cheaper to raise your own meat and milk. Veggies, though, are definitely cheaper. For example, five dollars in green bean seeds can feed my family beans every week for a year - or more, depending on the weather. Maybe the cheap veggies will balance out the extra cost in meat/milk!

Bethany W. said...

Arthur,
I honestly don't have the time to read any more posts right now. I only got as far as you have a new job. I will pray for you in all of your transitions! It sounds great!

Your sister,
Bethany

Arthur Sido said...

Debbie,

It is absolutely not cheaper in the sense of out of pocket expenses. No way you can raise your own meat and dairy cheaper than a food conglomerate. It is more a matter of a) knowing where our food is coming from and b) providing an atmosphere where the kids can work for their own meals as well. I can always buy milk for $2 something at Wal-Mart but you can't put a price on the work the kids should be doing.