Saturday, November 06, 2010

Best of the week entry 1

An excellent repost from Alan Knox is my first best of the week. Alan's post Community in name only? looks at a hypothetical community church and wonders how a group that is a true community and not one in name alone would interact with others from outside of the group as well as with one another:

As he drives away, and as you return to your unpacking, you wonder to yourself, “If Community Church is a true community instead of a community in name only, what would I expect of them? How would I expect them to act towards me and my family, as outsiders? How would I expect them to act towards one another? What would I expect to happen on Sundays? What would I expect to happen other days of the week?”

How would you answer these questions? [By the way, I'm not saying that this fictitious group of believers known as "Community Church" is a community in name only. Instead, I'm asking what would you expect from a group of people that was a true community and not a community in name only.]


I like the exercise here. Sometimes it is better to think about things hypothetically because we get so emotionally attached to "my church" that we can miss areas to improve. What does a real community of believers look like? Give Alan's post a read and then jump in with your comments!

No comments: