Tuesday, July 13, 2010

If this doens't make you weep you don't have a heart

In my prior post, I wondered how many orphans would be helped by the Haiti Orphan Project for what the aforementioned (and intentionally unnamed) ministry is trying to raise for its radio program (i.e. $8000/day)

Les who works with the Haiti Orphan Project filled me in (emphasis added) with this comment...

But $8,000 per day? Whew!

Yes, that would care for just over 6000 orphans in Haiti! Our ministry budgets $480 per YEAR to feed, house, school and teach the bible to one orphan. We're building an orphanage, church and school to care for only 100 orphans (and another 150 area children for school).

Somehow maybe priorities are out of whack.


I feel like someone punched me in the stomach. Out of whack is being generous. Heck, I just spent $250 at the grocery an hour ago and that will last us about a week.

I get paid Thursday and I have reminder to send some money to this worthwhile charity. I would encourage you to do so as well. I am not speaking for Les here but I would ask that before you drop money in the offering plate this weekend, think long and hard about what that money pays for and what it could do for orphans in Haiti and around the world. There are many worthy ministries right here in America as well but the key is to be as supportive as possible of those we are called to minister to.

Weep for the orphans. Pray for them. Do something to help them.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Arthur,

At the risk of picking a fight with someone....

"But what about the tithe to your local church?"

:)

Mark