Saturday, June 30, 2007

Interesting sermon on Baptist churches

"Problems with the Baptist Church"

I don't agree with all of it, and Pastor Jeff Arthur from Elizabeth Baptist Church in Bancroft, WV preaches with a little different style than me, but I liked a lot of what he has to say including this: In a lot of Baptist churches there is more emphasis in spreading the doctrine of election than there is in spreading the Gospel. Pastor Arthur is unapologetic about his holding to the doctrines of grace, but he also recognizes as I do that we don't get out of the Great Commission because of Calvinism. In fact just the opposite is true. We can get so caught up in being Calvinists that we forget to be evangelists. We quote Spurgeon but forget what a great preacher of repentance he was, what a great evangelist he was.

Interesting stuff, I am going to try to listen to more of his sermons.

No comments: