Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Fun at Family Camp

As I mentioned in my last post we were at Family Camp last weekend at Bair Lake Bible Camp in Jones, Michigan. Yes all ten of us shared a fairly small cabin and slept in bunk beds! Bair Lake is located in the southwest corner of Michigan and is technically a Plymouth Brethren camp but it is first and foremost a Christian camp and Christians from all evangelical denominational backgrounds and traditions would be comfortable there.

We had a fantastic time although we were pretty tired and getting cranky by Monday morning. My compliments go out to Bob Tissot and the staff at Bair Lake. It is a tough thing to plan for I am sure because you have all sorts of families with different dynamics. There were several other couples who had a small children and there were families where all of the kids were older. Some families had extended members including some elderly grandparents. I can’t imagine the logistics of trying to plan a wide enough variety of activities so that everyone had something to do but we never lacked for activities.

I spent more time with my kids just doing fun stuff than I have in a long time and we enjoyed the activities. I wasn’t a big fan of the group chapel time which I found pretty forgettable (and we skipped the last few) but otherwise we had few complaints. The food was good, there were lots of activities and the weather was fantastic! Upper 60’s is a bit chilly for swimming but it made for nice sleeping weather and it was way better than being really hot since we were outside most of the time. I really enjoyed it and am seriously considering going again next year if we can swing it financially. If you live in the Midwest, especially near Michigan, and are looking for a fun and affordable get-away with your family or looking for a summer camp for your kids (there are also men's retreats, women's retreats, etc.), you should definitely check out Bair Lake!


(You can also check out Bair Lake's Facebook page!)

No comments: