Monday, May 31, 2010

Bad theology or disunity

This was interesting, John Piper was asked which grieves him more: disunity or bad theology. It is a short clip, listen to his answer.



What do you think?

I think that for many of us, we would rather be disunified than tolerate theological aberrations. Better to block a brother in Christ who is wrong about Doctrine A than to be unified with someone we disagree with. Thus we have denomination after denomination, hundreds of different flavors of churches that agree on 95% of doctrine but keep themselves separate because of this point or that. Eschatology, baptism, music styles, single or plural elder. We have all sorts of reasons to create barriers to fellowship. Now I would certainly agree that someone who denies keys of the Gospel is not someone we should be in fellowship with. Frankly most of what divides us are not issues that rise to the level of Gospel denial. I am pretty sure most of us get that mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are outside of the Christian faith. What divides believers though, that is where we have a problem. I struggle with this and I have pointed that out on this blog. There was a time when I thought it was my mission in life to convert as many people to "Reformed theology" as possible. Theological correctness was the cornerstone of the church. Here is the problem with that....

Disunity is bad theology


I don't care how many theology books you have read or how many times you have gone to the right theology conferences. I don't care how many Spurgeon quotes or Calvin quips you post on Facebook and Twitter. If you don't love your brother, your theology is bad and if you say you love your brother but refuse to be in fellowship with them over a pet doctrine, you are a liar.

Which grieves me more: bad theology or disunity? Both because they are one and the same.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: