Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Alistair Begg on the Manhattan Declaration

Alistair Begg has weighed in on the Manhattan Declaration and why he cannot sign it. Like others, he notes that he cares deeply and passionately about the issues raised in the Manhattan Declaration. Even so, there is a fundamental problem that he hits succinctly and Biblically:

In the end, I concluded that I could not sign the statement. As I wrote to the project organizer, “I cannot in conscience sign on with those with whom I have fundamental disagreements on the nature of the Gospel. (I just re-read Calvin in the Institutes, Book IV, section 18.)”

I appreciate the passion and conviction of many of the signers. A cursory reading of my writings will show that I fervently oppose homosexual “marriage” and the slaughter of innocents in the name of choice. I believe deeply in the importance of religious liberty for all who believe, those who believe in Christ as well as those who believe in a false religion or choose to believe in nothing at all. First and foremost though, my allegiance is to Christ and His Gospel and joining in a false unity ultimately is self-defeating.

Anyone have any thoughts?



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

John Stefanyszyn said...

As per Mr. Begg..."I believe deeply in the importance of religious liberty for all who believe, those who believe in Christ as well as those who believe in a false religion or choose to believe in nothing at all."

Mr. Begg, but the belief in religious liberty for each and all confesses that it is RIGHT to be free to worship ANY 'god'.

Did not the |One Creator say that we man is to worship ONLY Him and no other 'god'?
....He, as Lord and Master, is saying that man is 'NOT FREE' to worship any other god...and the consequence of embracing this way is eternal non existence.

The Lord Jesus Christ also said that we are to worship the One Lord Your Creator and Him Alone to serve in obedience and love...love for Him First and Foremost and love for for, to do good to the fellowman.

Therefore Mr. Begg, your support for "religious liberty" shows in fact your works, that your first love is this "freedom" and not the servitude to One and Only Creator.

John Stefanyszyn