Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The clothes make the man

Someone I know posted this as a defense of ministers wearing robes. Shockingly, I am not a big fan of vestments. That probably surprises you. Here is what one church where the minister wears robes says about it:

First, the white robe, among other things, helps emphasize the office of the pastor and de-emphasize the personality of the man in the pulpit. Sometimes it is hard to be led in worship by an elder or pastor who is a good friend or a peer or even (especially) one who is younger. To help us get over this feeling, the church has traditionally placed special robes on her ministers when they conduct worship. This helps the people to remember that it is not just good old Jeff Meyers up there; rather, the Lord’s ordained minister is leading us into God’s presence and speaking God’s Word to us. Strictly speaking, the worship service is not conducted by Jeff Meyers anyway, but by the robe of office that Jeff Meyers happens to be filling at the current time. We submit to the office, not to the man, during worship.

Interesting that it is hard to be led in worship by a "peer". I guess that implies that pastors are not our peers which makes them...our superiors? I would also agree that it is hard to be led in a authoritarian sense by a friend. On the other hand, I would say it is far easier to be lovingly guided by the men I know and trust precisely because they are my friends instead of some clerical office holder. I guess I would rather be ministered to by (and conversely be a minister to) my friend who I know rather than my friend who is supposed to be transformed into an office based on a robe he wears. I listen to council from my friends like James and Josh and Rick and John because they are my friends and know me, not because they are being paid to "lead" me. Vestments separate people. That guy is the pastor, he has a robe on. You are not, no robe for you! This again lays bare the disconnect between saying we are a priesthood of all believers in theory but have a very distinct priestly caste in practice.

Take off your robes. It is OK to be just a guy, to be the peer of the other redeemed sinners in your gathering. All authority has been given to Christ, not to humans with ordination certificates or seminary degrees or clerical robes.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Uh, but isn't it just "good old Jeff Meyer up there"? It certainly isn't Santa Claus in a Jeff Meyer suit, and I'm guessing it's not the angel Gabriel (who just happens to have a fantastic resemblance to Jeff).

But, since it IS Jeff Meyer up there, why the need to pretend something different.

Will this specter of Rome ever be lifted from us?

Debbie said...

Of course, there may be another reason to wear a robe. I had a friend who would wear one when he went to preach somewhere so the people wouldn't get distracted by his clothes. He got tired of people who would come up to him after the service and comment about his tie, rather than the topic of the sermon!