Friday, May 15, 2015

What I Am (Or Soon Will Be) Reading

A quick update on what I am reading or fixin' to read these days.

On the lightweight, fun reading I am doing my best to read the entirety of the Star Wars "Expanded Universe" canon of books before the new movie comes out. This is a daunting task as there are literally hundreds of books it seems.

Another book that I am looking forward to reading once it arrives from the library is a new one from Charles Murray, a somewhat controversial author who wrote The Bell Curve back in the day. His new book, By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission, proposes a solution outside of the impossible political process to the ills that beset America. I love his writing as it is incredibly detailed, thoughtful and well researched while remaining accessible to most readers.As someone who is more and more politically libertarian, I find Murray's writings to be of special interest.

Another new book is one I purchased, partly because it was unavailable from my library and also because it is incredibly cheap, a 600 page (over 700 counting the bibliography) hardcover scholarly work for only $8 from Amazon! Written by Anabaptist author Theron Schlabach the book is War, Peace, and Social Conscience: Guy F. Hershberger and Mennonite Ethics. The somewhat unwieldy title speaks to the development of the Mennonite social ethic in the 20th century by looking at one of the key figures in this field, Guy Hershberger. If you read my blog often that name may seem familiar to you because of a glowing review I gave of his book, War, Peace and Nonresistance. I maintain that War, Peace and Nonresistance is the finest Biblical defense of the practice of non-resistance in print, apart from the Bible of course. Needless to say I am very interested in delving more into the life and writings of Hershberger to get a more complete picture as I continue to develop my own position in the non-resistant camp.

No comments: