Friday, June 19, 2009

More from "Why we love the church"

DeYoung, Restless, and Reformed: Dear Tristan

Kevin DeYoung posted another excerpt from his upcoming book "Why We Love The Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion". This section comes in the form of a poignant note from co-author Ted Kluck to his son Tristan. It is a wonderful note from a loving father about things he hopes his child will experience. I encourage you to read this. Then I would ask you to ask the question: is the institutional church required for his son to experience these things? will he find these dreams from his father in organized religion? indeed, is it not possible that institutionalized church will inhibit rather than encourage the experiences Ted Kluck desires for his son?

Lots of quotes from the book so far, many full of truth but none of them explaining why the institutional church is necessary or the best way to achieve what the authors are calling for. I preordered a copy a while ago and I am eagerly awaiting it. I hope they show us why the institutional church is needed specifically. If they don't, that may answer a few questions in my own mind...

No comments: